Space Engineer - Data
About Saber Astronautics
Saber Astronautics’ mission is the democratization of space, reducing barriers to space flight, and making space as easy as driving a car. Incorporated in 2008, Saber Astronautics provides space operations, mission design services, and related software. Saber has R&D laboratories and mission control centres in the USA and Australia, being a trusted supplier to both traditional space and government customers worldwide.
The Space Engineer (Data) will be based out of the Responsive Space Operations Centre (RSOC) and play a leading role in ensuring the success of space missions. The Space Engineer will integrate new satellite telemetry and command databases with the Saber backend and develop new infrastructure to support integration with the RSOC. The Space Engineer will also be trained to assist with telemetry diagnostics during operations. Daily duties include development using python, git, Linux and bitbucket to support the needs of the Operations team.
Due to the secure nature of the work you may be required to perform, you must be Australian citizen. Non-negotiable. Permanent residents and people with work visas are not able to be hired for this position.Responsibilities:
- + Integrate satellite telemetry and command databases with the front end mission control software, and Saber’s backend.
- + Integrate third party ground station APIs with the front end mission control software, and the Saber backend infrastructure.
- + Assist with Hardware In the Loop (HIL) testing of spacecraft and commands, and ensure telemetry is received correctly.
- + Assist with spacecraft operations when required.
This role requires strong programming skills in python, and familiarity with SQL databases and web frameworks (Flask, Django or others). Experience with embedded systems development in (C/C++, Rust, etc) is highly preferred.
Additional skills in some or all of the following fields will be viewed favourably:
- + Communication protocols; ideally satellite specific
- + IoT device telemetry and data storage
- + Network and system administration
- + AWS, Azure or other cloud providers
- + Experience with cloud microservices is preferred
- + Git, GitLab and the Atlassian suite
- + Linux experience is highly desirable
Occasional domestic travel will be required. Previous experience in the space industry is not required but will be viewed favorably. Successful applicants without prior space industry knowledge will be taught the necessary skills on the job.
- + Bachelor's Degree in Software/Mechatronics Engineering or Computer Science, other engineering/physics/maths backgrounds will be considered based on programming skills and experience.
- + 0-3+ years experience in backend development.
- + Good communication skills, and the ability to work in a team environment
- + Must be an Australian citizen
- + Must be detail-oriented self-starter.
- + Ability to work with remote teams.
- + Must be detail-oriented self-starter
- + Ability to multitask, react, solve problems and obtain results under pressures of live operations, including under pressure during television production and live broadcasts.
- + An objective, data driven, scientific and organisational approach to engineering
- + Conducts self in an appropriate manner and values consistent with Saber Astronautics
How to Apply
All applications need the following information supplied:
- + Cover letter
- + Evidence of Australian Citizenship
- + CV or Resume
- + Portfolio of prior work:
- - Code samples in Python and/or C#/C++ - Required
- - Other projects you have worked on that you believe will strengthen your application
Once you have assembled your application, email the completed bundle to: email@example.com the with the job role as the email subject.
Applications Close: 5pm 04 June 2021 AEST.